Tuesday, September 1, 2009

True Blood vs. Twilight




* I will try my best not to ruin anything for the True Blood fans. As for Twilight everyone knows what happens in Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Not so true for True Blood. True Blood is an HBO series that is based on Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse Novels. To date there are 9 novels and another one on the way. On Harris's website she states that she is not done with Sookie yet (yay for me) so there is a possibility for more to come. However the show is not identical the books. The movie Twilight is much more similar to Stephanie Meyers book. I believe this may be the case for the upcoming film New Moon as well.
Thanks to my sister for lending me the Sookie Stackhouse box set and me being on holidays I have been able to replace Twilight for the time being. I loved (I refer to all of Stephanie Meyers books as the Twilight series because frankly I don't know what they are called) the Twilight series, especially Eclipse. I read the 4 books in less than 5 days. Of course I was on Spring Break which allowed me time to indulge. However now that I have read both series I feel I need to make a case for Sookie Stackhouse for all those Bella fans out there.
As much as I loved Twilight I couldn't stand Bella half the time. For various reasons, one being that I felt she was way too dependent on Edward. I sort blame Meyer's for my annoyance. Partially because her books have become so popular among young girls. It took her awhile for Bella to become her own person. Which really didn't happen until the 2nd half of Eclipse and more so once she got what she wanted in Breaking Dawn (you know the whole change me thing).
Sookie Stackhouse is not like that at all. Never once does she rely on a man or love. She doesn't talk about changing to be with whomever she loves. She is a barmaid in Louisiana with down home Southern roots. She was raised by her Gran with relatively conservative beliefs and high values and morals. I applaud Charlaine Harris for creating such a strong female character with wit and charm.
I also appreciate Harris's exploration into the world of the supernatural. Not that I think Meyer's fell short, she wrote a great series based on her interpretations of vampire and werewolf mythology. Which ended up being a beautiful love story, a fairytale in which most girls young and old possess.
Another perk to these books for me was that I watched True Blood 1 & 2 and Twilight 1st. Therefore I was able to attach characters from both to the books. Which probably helped me really get into the books. I like both of the settings. They are places that I knew very little about, so if left to my own imagination I don't know if I would have been able to come up with such beautiful scenery to carry me through the novels.
I had good intentions of reading stuff for school, school related literature, and a few books suggested by others this summer but nothing was nearly addictive as the Sookie Stackhouse Series! So heres my plea to all of you, please go and read the series so I can talk to someone about them! I know Davide is tired of listening to me!

1 comment:

EricaRW said...

I hate hate HATED 'Breaking Dawn' it was WAY too dramatic and made me want to vomit. I like the story but I could NOT stand Bella really at all, what a big wimp - suck it up princess!! I just started season 2 of True Blood, I like Sookie (I really like Anna Paquin as Sookie, too) I'll let you know what I think of the TB books once I get to them.