Thursday, August 20, 2009

Woodstock '69

My latest obsession is Woodstock '69. I didn't realize it was Woodstock's 40th Anniversary last week until I felt bombarded with Woodstock stories. It's funny because sometimes you become more aware of things around you because they seem to matter. For example I drive a Jetta so I notice all Jetta's, or I like blueberries and now they are everywhere (seasonal, perhaps?). Now that I realize it's their 40th Anniversary it makes a little more sense.
Too be honest I know very little about Woodstock. I always associated Woodstock with hippies, peace, love and music. I never considered the business behind Woodstock or the bureaucracy. Until recently I really believed the it was just about peace, love and music. I am not disappointed though. I think the book The Story of Woodstock: Back to the Garden really puts the myth of Woodstock in perspective. And allows me to still believe that Woodstock can be and was about peace, love and music to many people. It's like anything;
there is no reality only perception.
I just saw a preview for Ang Lee's new movie Taking Woodstock last night. I'm hoping I will still be in the city when it comes out. With my iTunes addiction I've been able to put the real music to the story, so I won't need to rush home to wikipedia after this one!



No comments: