Monday, May 13, 2013

A Day I Want To Celebrate

Over the years I have ranted about Valentine's Day. How I see it as a wasteful over commercialized day that intentionally or not makes women around the world feel bad. Not just because they're alone. It is a day that is thrown in your face that someone thought to spend an exorbitant amount of money flowers, chocolates and jewellery, just that someone wasn't your boyfriend or husband. That someone that got it is the annoying princess that posts it all over Facebook. Whether you're a jealous person or not, it still annoys you.

Well at least it annoys me. But here comes the kettle. Mother's Day can be a day similar to Valentine's, a day where you're expected to purchase a magnificent gift and do all things mom like. See here is where the hypocrisy comes in, I like Mother's Day and want to celebrate my mom and being a mom.

I have always been inclined to do nice things on Mother's Day. Whether it be make breakfast in bed or a nice supper spread, buying bouquets or planting barrels or maybe just a phone call. It's a day to celebrate mom's.

Being a mom is hard. Even though most moms are too modest to admit it. And the ones that do probably annoy you because they probably also complain about everything else under the sun.

Being a mom means that you know longer are the most important person in the world. Sure all the life coaches and magazines out there will tell you to put yourself first but for the most part that's just wishful thinking. Your children need you and they don't wait for you to have me time first. Maybe one day they will but not any time soon.

I think we are naturally inclined to want to be able to do what we want when we want, likely why we had children in the first place, because we wanted to or we were ready for the next phase in our lives. But then reality kicks in and we realize now that these little creatures need us and they definitely don't wait for us to do what we want first. Take last night, after hour of rocking, nursing and swaying Mateo finally feel asleep, then I quickly slipped into my bathing suit and made a dash for the hot tub. Not even 10minutes later he was up, didn't he know it was Mother's Day and I wanted to enjoy an evening soak in the hot tub? Apparently not. Because by the time I got him down again (took me 30 minutes and 3 tries) I had no interest in going back outside. So I quickly showered and got ready for bed only to be woken up an hour later!

With that being said, I love being a mom. And I love that we get a day to be celebrated.

I should add that I also love celebrating my own mom. I am very lucky to have her in my life.



No comments: