Saturday, August 4, 2012

Bear With Me


I have started this blog entry at least 5 times. Which says a lot. I titled this Bear With Me because I don't want to be one of those mom's that claims she didn't have purpose before she had her children, you know all that sentimental bullshit, however I do use this blog as some what of a journal of my life. I realize that is not always interesting to others, but seeing how only a few close friends and family read this I figure it's ok.

So everyone was right, the first few weeks definitely fly by. Mateo is changing before my eyes, literally. I am sure that when I blink he has grown. He is a healthy 10 lbs 6 oz. He is likely even more now, as that was Monday's weigh in. This child eats like there is no tomorrow. Last night, no lies, he nursed on and off for 5 hours! Yes 5 hours! Now here's the problem. As a new mom you have no idea what is right. You have a lot of preconceived notions, but you don't really know what you're suppose to do. And if you're anything like me, you worry that you're doing things wrong constantly.

I was very lucky to have a midwife, I know I have stated this many times before but it is so true. Only downside is that I do exactly what she says. But sometimes misinterpret what she says, lol. Anyway I have been told it's ok to nurse on demand even if demand is 5 hours. See Mateo is a pretty good sleeper. He will wake up depending on what time he falls asleep, but usually just nurses and goes back to bed. Which from what people tell me is a blessing. However he "cluster feeds" in the evening. So he will literally be hungry every 20-30min. I initially fought this, thinking how could this child possibly be hungry? So I would try everything to soothe him, but nothing except the boob worked. But I was worried I was giving in to his eating disorder, thankfully I was informed that you can not over breastfeed. My nipples think differently!

Yes, speaking of nipples. I knew breastfeeding was difficult. I had heard all the horror stories, so I thought. I knew some babies didn't latch or mother's couldn't produce enough milk etc, however no one told me how much my nipples would fear my son. Especially when he growling and flailing his arms, thrusting his body at them. They just want to jump off my body and run away. Thankfully they have not yet, thought I worry that day might come. So mom's to be (in the future) you've now been told, your nipples will hate you and your child!

So my days are pretty boring but seem to be busy. I have had a lot of visitors which is nice. And I am starting to feel more comfortable going out with Mateo. The weather has been on and off. Either its raining or scorching hot, so we haven't gone outside awhole lot. It is The Pas's Centennial this weekend so we took Mateo to the parade. He is surprisingly very alert for a newborn. He actually appeared to enjoy watching all the commotion, until of course we found out he is not deaf and the fire trucks came by with their horns! (Anyone watch Mr. Holland's Opus..... Davide had me ask the midwife if she thought Mateo might be deaf bc he didn't seem to be bothered by loud noises, like barking, door bells, tv etc).

Anyway, I think that's all I got right now. That's my exciting life, maybe not but truth be told I wouldn't trade it for anything :)

3 comments:

EricaRW said...

I love reading this stuff - please keep writing about it!! good to hear you guys are doing well :)

Guider Carmen said...

I loved your description of your nipples wanting to jump off your body and run away...

Katherine Wilkinson said...

LOL did I not mention the nipple thing?? hahah yes... get some nipple sheilds and some lansanoh cream for those babies!! You'll get the hang of it soon! Doing great and he looks soooo cute!!! You kind of just have to roll with it...