Wednesday, July 25, 2012

He's here!

Mateo Nathanial Novo
July 17th, 2012
9lbs 9.5 oz 23 1/4 inches

I was scheduled to be induced Monday July 16th at 11:00am. My body was "progressing" on it's own but I was almost 42 weeks so after a consultation with the OB/GYN and my midwife we decided to start with Prostine. It's a cervix ripening gel. Basically they apply it and then you wait an hour and then I went home to wait. Nothing happened. So we went back at 6:00pm for another dose. Again we had to wait and monitor the baby for an hour. We left and went to the grocery store and my contractions had started. However they aren't  "real contractions". They feel like real contractions but it's basically the medication doing it's job. The intention is to put you into your own labour. By 12:30am I started having more intense contractions and they were longer apart. I stayed home until 4:00am. I knew I wasn't even close to delivering but I was exhausted, nauseous and began to have the chills. I felt like it  would be better if I went into the hospital.

My midwife met us at the hospital and administered morphine shots. I was only 3cm dilated and exhausted from 8 hrs of contractions. The morphine shots allowed me to sleep and gain some energy for what soon became a long day. Davide and my mom enjoyed their sleeps in the hospital chairs, lol, no I am sure they didn't.

Around 10:30am we decided to break my water, hoping this would get things moving faster and avoid having to have Oxytocin. Surprise surprise, it didn't work.

At about 11:30am they started the Oxytocin. I had to be hooked up to an IV. By this point I was tired again. They couldn't find the vein and had to poke me 5 times, I was so tired it didn't even bother me. At this point I mentioned the possibility of an Epidural. More out of curiosity. The Oxytocin should have got me going but again it just wasn't progressing fast enough. The contractions were intense and definitely uncomfortable. They were getting longer and stronger. But yet I wasn't dilating fast enough.

My midwife called the Anesthetist and he came around 1:30pm for an Epidural. At this point I was in so much pain and so exhausted I didn't know how much longer I could do this. And was only 5cm dilated. By no means did I plan on having an Epidural, but I also didn't plan on being 2 weeks late. I was worried about the Epidural because I knew that is often slowed the progress and put you at a higher risk for an episiotemy. Which often leads to a longer recovery. Anyway by this point I was doing anything to keep me functioning. I know it's hard to imagine sleeping through contractions but when your body says it's tired, it's tired!

So my midwife decided to go home for a break (she's 8.5months pregnant) and her midwife replaced her. The other midwife was convinced he'd come around 3:00am. So I tried to tell Davide and my mom to go home for a rest. It didn't seem much was happening.

Then around 5 ish I started feeling an intense urge to push. I didn't know what to expect. Especially with the Epidural. I mean my lower half was numb, so I assumed I would feel nothing. Oh how wrong I was. So the midwife checked how dilated I was and low and behold it was finally time. She called my midwife just in time. Luckily Davide and my mom didn't go anywhere. So after what didn't feel like 2.5 hours, my lovely little boy was FINALLY born.

No lies, the pain was excruciating but it is 100% true that once he's out it seemed to just float away. Davide and I spent the night at the hospital and were able to leave by noon the next day. Some people thought it was quick, but we just wanted to get home into our own space. Not too mention I couldn't stand hearing other women in labour, especially moaning and screaming. I for the record did not do either, breathed heavily yes, suggested I couldn't actually push him out yes but I didn't scream and moan. Why? No idea. I was too focused on doing whatever they told me to do to get it over with.

So all the waiting and boredom is over. Mateo is a perfect addition to our family. We have been lucky to have a lot of company who are spoiling him rotten with love and gifts.

2 comments:

EricaRW said...

Good work!!! I'm glad everyone is happy & healthy, hi & hugs to your new little family xxoo

Katherine Wilkinson said...

Happy Hunger Games! and Let the odds be ever in your favour! LOL sorry to quote the hunger games! But it will be a fun ride for the next month at least! But you will get used to eachother and get in the routine of things! Congrats again Marcia! We're excited to meet Baby Mateo!