So Mateo started solids a little early. I think he was ready. He doesn't overly love one thing, but that's because everything is so new. I tell myself I am going to follow the rules and listen to the public health nurses but when it comes down to it I do what I want. Which I think is the best way to do things. You know your child the best and there is so much advice out there, that it is incredibly overwhelming.
So, so far we have tried;
Chicken - this was a no go, they suggest you start with meats because of the iron content. Well maybe some babies like this but none that I have heard of, so we nixed that.
Sweet Potatoes - he likes these and I have them on hand in the freezer because they are so big that to steam and purée it only makes sense to freeze because he won't eat them all
Peas - touch and go on these, depends on the consistency
Broccoli and Cauliflower - one of the nurses suggested I steam and cool these and let him play with these whole, he love playing with them but not much makes it into his mouth
Carrots - he loves carrots, well if he is in the mood
Apples - loves them
Pears - loves them
Mangos/Peaches - not a huge fan
Blueberries - loves them
Bananas - not a huge fan
Avocados - loves them
A few years ago I bought a friend a Beaba. It was pricey but a selfish gift, I knew I intended to ask for it back for when I had children. I also have a Baby Bullet. I like the Beaba bc it steams and purées. It makes making your own baby food super easy. From friends that buy baby food, they say it's just easier and don't have time, which may very well be true. For me I like making dinners and with this I can easily chop something up for Mateo and its ready it no time. No fuss.
But it's not necessary, you easily could use a blender or magic bullet. So if you're on a budget don't splurge, it's not worth it.


1 comment:
That's what I was thinking for myself. I have a normal blender, food processor and magic bullet so I'm not intending to buy the 'baby' versions or register for them but I'll happily accept one as a gift if someone chooses to give it to me.
As for 'no time' comments, I 100% support mothers that chose NOT to do things like breast feeding, cloth diapers and homemade baby food as they know their own capabilities and these choices aren't for everyone. What I hate is when someone tells me that MY choice to do them isn't right because I won't have time. Last night I had yet another conversation with my MIL which included how people that breast feed are doing the 'right thing' (which is annoying even though it valids my choice) but in the same conversation told me that I won't have time to use cloth diapers and that disposals are so much more convienent (as she's comparing them to the ones she used in the late 70's).
I wish people could separate giving a friendly opinion based on their past experience and TELLING someone that they are wrong because their opinion doesn't match with theirs.
Post a Comment