Friday, April 5, 2013

What type of movie is your life like?

What type of movie is your life like? That was the question I got at Baby & Me yesterday. The options were comedy, drama, romantic comedy, sci-fi and horror. I opted for a special on PBS. Of course everyone laughed, probably in agreement then I got the awe your life isn't boring, you have Mateo.

Well obviously I was attempting to move into the comedy realm with my cheeky response. Because in all honesty my life isn't boring to ME. To others it likely would be, hence warranting a slot on PBS.

But let's be real, my life is exactly what I want it to be. If you asked me 20 years ago, this is probably where I would have wanted to be, 10 years ago? No way! 10 years ago I saw myself travelling the world, living in a retrofitted loft, maybe an artist or massage therapist. Let's be honest the job didn't matter. When you are 18 years old you don't think about money or how you're going to make your dreams come true. You think lofts in New York City are free and that you can travel the world on $10 a day (which likely will come from mom and dad) or that you can move to Africa and volunteer at an orphanage saving children. Or at least I thought that.

There was a point between foolish thinking and slightly less foolish thinking when I thought I would buy an Airstream and move out to BC and take Art Therapy. Then something clicked and I realized that I would miss my family, be poor and have to work extremely hard to make a career out of the occupation. That's when I changed my mind and decided to go into Education.

I wanted a family friendly career. I knew this to be true because both of my parents were teachers and I had a fabulous childhood. After marrying young and realizing I was longing to leave the city and settle down into a country home with a family, dogs and a garden, I changed career paths and wala I have exactly what I want.

I love spending everyday with Mateo. I love cooking delicious meals for everyone. I like crafting, usually starting rarely finishing. I look forward to family and friend gatherings. I love celebrating season changes and holidays. I like my job and my community. I like volunteering for Girl Guides and school. I love that my husband is a hard worker and sees my visions of renovating (notice I don't say I love renovating, I don't, just love when he renovates for me).

Really I just love my slow paced life that is filled with family and friends with a lot of love and laughter, and wouldn't trade it for an airstream any day!









2 comments:

EricaRW said...

I obviously haven't been to that house in ages... floors look great!

Judy said...

You certainly have a way with words! I love being part of that picture! Oh the places you will go!