Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Welcome Woodland Friends

It's no secret that I love planning parties. I usually start thinking about them as soon as one is finished. 

Last year I planned a "barnyard" party. Mateo loved horses, so it seemed like the only option!

 
This year was a toss up between "Construction" or "Woodland Friends".I decided to do a woodland theme. This was the 3rd birthday party I had planned, so some things have gotten easier. Like prepping and knowing when to ask the experts for help. I ordered shirts off Etsy, cake toppers from Cakeology and recruited help with activities. My mom made play dough and my sister made play dough mats, brought bubbles, chalk and paints. But even with the early prep and help, it is a lot of work. 


On top of all the planning and prepping, it called for rain all week. Of course the rain didn't come until Saturday. Davide had just finished the basement (pulled an all nighter literally), so we had a back up plan. We decided to start outside and see if the rain would hold off. In the future I won't take the chance. Mostly because I left decorating until the last minute and stressed myself out. But it worked out. 


The food was pizza bears, woodland berries, sticks & stones - chocolate drizzled pretzels and chocolate covered almonds, Mateos forest - veggie pizza with toadstools, trail mix, a cheesy owl and cupcakes. I made chocolate cupcakes and lemon with blueberry icing.
(I downsized on food this year, last year I just had soooo much left over)


Babywearing and breastfeeding to the rescue!


My sister is always creating cool sensory bins for occasions and gifts, so she inspired me to do one for Mateo's birthday. Of course once the kids got into it, it looked a little different! 


We bought this climber for Mateo's birthday present. It's sturdy but lightweight so it may end up in our basement this winter.


I had a hard time choosing a "goodie bag". I ended up making these and filing them with bear paws and berry gummies. I was going to make felt masks but my sewing machine wasn't cooperating so I just made paper masks, which the kids loved!

Luckily I hired a photographer again, so hopefully she got a few of them with their masks on. As well as the piñata that Mateo requested. 

It was definitely a success, just a lot of work to make it a success. But worth every minute. Now onto the next... I am thinking Dr. Seuss for Micah's first birthday!

No comments: