Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Appalled...

I am sitting here watching Larry King. His guests are mothers from the polgamy community in Texas that was raided and their children were taken. The women are speaking out for their children that they no longer are in touch with.

I don't know the logistics of this particular community but I do know that polgamy is to say the least illegal. But with that being said I don't necessarily know if I believe it should illegal. I do not condone child exploitation but I don't know if that is the case in the situation. I have no doubts that there are children who have been exploited and abused.

I am sitting here trying to find the words to explain how outraged I am that Larry King is sitting on his throne beraiding these women with inappropriate questions (which btw if they answer they could be incriminating themselves). These poor women just want to know their children are safe.

I have read studies and articles on polgamy, mainly in Canada. Many women and human rights activists have been lobbying our government to 1. decriminalize polygamy and 2. legalize polgamy. First I believe it should definitely be decriminalized. I also lean towards legalizing it polgamy. For 2 reasons; 1. Women suffer the most from plural marriages. They have limited rights financially ex. child custody, alimony, life insurance, death benefits and the list goes on. These rights are similar to the problem that posed people in same sex marriages. 2nd Polgamy being illegal is what forces people into these large "cult" like compounds. These are the only place that they feel safe, feel at home.

Ultimately who are we to tell others how to live their lives? We are not perfect. But we do have a responsiblity to children. I do not think taking them from their families and putting them into care if going to solve any problems.

1 comment:

Mrs. Bouvier said...

You have to understand that when you have men like Warren Jeffs leading polygamous communities, and raping and marrying 14 years old girls...there are going to be some people who are going to think that is what polygamy is about. And yes big love may make it seem like that is not what's going on but it is. However I do think that adult women are capable of making their own decisions...If that makes any sense.